Sierra Race Walkers is a California non-profit amateur sports organization to promote race walking for persons of all ages and ability levels and to support the health and fitness benefits, enjoyment, and accomplishment of race walking activities and competitions.
Sierra Race Walkers reaches out to people who would like to take part in the sport. Sierra Race Walkers assists amateur athletes who could realize their dreams and potential if given the opportunity, and also will aid all people who would find joy and benefit from participating if exposed to the inclusive sport of race walking.
Sierra Race Walkers is committed to:
- Exposing more people to the benefits of race walking.
- Funding participation in local, regional, national, or international race walk events.
- Hosting race walk events.
- Participating in race walk events hosted by other amateur sports organizations.
- Assisting other race walk groups with donations of time, funding, or other resources.
- Supporting efforts to build and improve amateur sports track & field facilities.
Program and Activities
Sierra Race Walkers conducts or participates in the following programs and activities in order to accomplish its mission:
- Sponsor up-and-coming amateur race walker(s) by providing funding to attend regional, national, or international events.
- Donate race walk shoes or clothing to amateur race walk groups who can put them to good use.
- Donate funds to improve track facilities for community use.
Staff information booths at community events such as fitness fairs.
- Volunteer time to support amateur track and field events such as local high school track meets, Special Olympics, and Senior Olympics.
- Promote community awareness by adopting a mile of the American River Parkway.
- Promote community awareness and sense of belonging by making logo wear available to interested people.
- Host race walk events. For example, we have hosted local races and regional events such as the Northern California Racewalk Alliance Program and Pacific Association USA Track & Field.
- Compete in race walk events. For example, we have had participants in the USA Track & Field Masters Championships, the Pacific Association USATF Championships, and the World Race Walking Cup Trials.
- Compete in running or walking events with either walk or race walk categories. For example, we have had representatives in the Portland Marathon, Portland to Coast Relay, Amsterdam Marathon, Dublin Marathon, Paris Marathon, Vancouver Marathon, St. Louis Marathon, and many more.
- Provide officials and judges for race walk events.
Provide a newsletter to promote a sense of community within race walking.
Sierra Race Walkers is the largest walking club in the Greater Sacramento area with more than 60 members. Our members include walkers of all ages and speeds from novice to national class. We train for and participate in race distances from 1500 meters to full marathons.