Despite the early weather forecasts of horrific weather and the dourpours the day before, the skies cleared fora group of dedicated race walkers to toe the line at the 74th Annual 40km USATF National Championship. 40 competitors started, although not all intended to complete the near marathon distance. One of the great advantages of the 40km is that meet director Elliot Denman let's everyone walk just about any distance. It fills the field nicely in an event that otherwise might not attract such great numbers. It also allows younger (as well as older) walkers to compete alongside national and international class race walkers.
4th Woman - Rebecca Garson, Tidewater Striders, Va. (4:55;28, 1st 45-49)
5th Woman - Maria Paul, Shore AC (5:04:26, 2nd 45-49)
6th Woman - Dorit Attias, Walk USA (5:14:58, 1st 50-54)
7th Woman - Darlene Backlund, So Cal Walkers (5:15:18, 1st 65-69; set US women 65-69 35K record of 4:35:26 en route.)
MEN'S TEAM SCORES
1. World Class Racewalking (Dan Serianni, Chris Schmid, Dave McGovern) 11:52:05.
2. Shore AC (Ben Shorey, Dave Talcott, Bill Vayo) 11:55:32;
3. Pegasus AC (Ray Sharp, Max Walker, Rod Craig) 12:32:00;
4. Shore AC B Team (Tim Chelius, Tom Quattrocchi, Eliot Collins) 16:13.52.
MEN'S MASTERS TEAM SCORES
1. Pegasus AC (Ray Sharp, Max Walker, Rod Craig) 12:32:00;
2. Shore AC (Dave Talcott, Bill Vayo, Tim Chelius) 13:30:55.
NO WOMEN'S TEAM CHAMPION
Ron Salvio, Freehold Area Running Club, 3:52:20
Jonathan Hallman, Unattached, South Carolina, 2:13:41 (USA Junior Record).
Click here to see the rest of the story.